Sunday, September 1, 2024

 In Oct of last year we decided to move south. Over a period of 12 years we struggled through cold winters and snow depths which covered our vehicle and ourselves. We lived through the storms, and the tornados and the below zero temperatures. Last year we had temps of 30 to 40 below zero. On top of that, I had my heart failure. I was unable to clear the snow from our car and the ground around our home. So we decided to move to a warmer climate. We picked Louisiana because my wife's sister used to live in the area we were going to. She told us about the area and how it was when she lived there.

Well, times have changed it. We wanted warm weather and it seems mother nature got our order wrong. We asked for warm and we got hot. Very hot. I like my food hot but outside temps, not so much. The humidity made it much worse. If you had someone pour a pitcher of warm water over you as you walked to your car door, that is Louisiana.

 The one thing I do remember about living in the south is the way you are treated. People say yes and no sir. People hold doors for each other and say thank you a lot. Friendliness is everywhere. Our car was overheating on the freeway and when the people in the car behind us saw it they pulled up behind us on the shoulder. It was a young couple, in a new car. He said his momma told him to help whenever help was needed. He found the problem, a radiator hose had busted. He followed us to the next exit, then right into an auto parts store where he got the hose needed and fix our car right in the parking lot. Don't ever say bad things about young people. There are many who are just like him. My wife slipped his wife a $20 bill and told them to have lunch on us. He didn't want to take it but after talking to the wife, he said okay.

We had to go through a lot of changes moving here. Including paperwork. It took time to change our driver's license and change our health insurance. But after jumping through all the hoops, we are officially Louisiana residents. The heat? Well, you get used to it. And I won't have to shovel snow this winter.

This is something I wrote years ago but found it appropriate for now....

I come to a door

I feel jumpy

I go through

I feel brave

I come to another door

I feel frightened

I go through

I feel strong

I come to another door

I feel lost

I go through

I feel mature

I come to another door

I feel hysterical

I go through

I feel in control

I come to another door

I feel crazy

I refuse to go through

These doors are killing me


No comments:

Post a Comment