Wednesday, September 4, 2024

 Okay we made through August. When we mved to Louisiana we were told, watch out for August. It's the hottest month of the year. Well, it was. But we made it through, and we are enjoying the cooler temps. If you can call 80 or 90 cooler temps.

As far as my days are, I seem to be doing the same routine. Wait, isn't that what routine means? Doing the same thing over and over. I try to don something else to shake it up, to add some excitement. Working on this blog, for instance. Keeps me writing and keeps my fingers nimble.

    I don't type like a good secretary does, I use only two fingers per hand. But fast. Like using a touch keyboard. I remember where the keys are so hitting them seems to be easy for me.

Have you ever seen one of those puzzles where they have a screen full of a single number like 33 and somewhere on that screen is the number 39. Find it. I love those. I usually get it in the first couple of seconds. Then my wife will ask me where the mate to her socks is and I spend the next hour and half looking for it. Good news, I do find it. Most of the time.

As the days get cooler, we will venture out more. See more. Do more. Can't sit behind the desk all day. I save that for the evening, when the sun has gone down, and the tv is off, and quiet permeates the house. The only sound you will hear is the pecking of the computer keys.

I want to tell you about Papaw's Place. A rundown, rusting old building out in the middle of nowhere. Outside, you're afraid to go in, but if you do, your  eyes are met with the most beautiful and colorful interior you have ever seen. Add to that the smells of freshly baked bread  and the sounds of music coming from an old neon lit jukebox. It's like being transported back to the fifties, where girls wear poodle skirts and the guys have leather jackets and greasy hair. Papaw used to say if he ever ran out of lard, he could use some of their hair grease. Now that's a gross thought.

What special about the diner is not so much the food and atmosphere, but the physical building itself. You see, it has always been a mystery to anyone who lived in the area., that no one remembers when it was never there. Like it has always been in existence and it will always be there. It looks like it may fall down at any moment but truth is, it won't. Papaw says it won't.

That's another thing. Papaw. He looks to be around 65 years old but to everyone's recollection, he has always been the owner. And cook. He has been there since the diner was built and it doesn't seem like he will never leave. I have wondered myself where he came from.


No comments:

Post a Comment